Admissions arrangements and criteria
We set the admission arrangements for community and controlled schools. These are reviewed every year and a consultation will take place if changes are proposed.
All academies, free schools, aided and foundation schools are an admissions authority and determine their own admission arrangements.
Secondary schools in north and south Shropshire use a criteria which refers to attending a state-funded primary school that lies within the secondary school's catchment area for more than a whole academic year immediately prior to transfer. Please refer to our list to find out which state-funded primary school is within each secondary school's catchment area.
Use the links at the bottom of the page to view the admissions arrangements by year.
There's a maximum number of children that can be admitted to a school in each year group. If more applications are received than available places, the school is said to be oversubscribed. When this happens, places have to be allocated in strict order of priority, according to the oversubscription criteria.
Children with a statement of special educational needs or EHC plan naming a particular school will be offered a place at that school. A set list of priorities for each school group then defines how remaining school places are allocated.
View the oversubscription criteria for Shropshire Council community and controlled schools by clicking on the relevant links at the bottom of the page.
Own authority schools admissions criteria are detailed in the individual policies, set by the school. This information is available in the admission arrangements policies for the individual own authority schools, available via the links below.
- Admission arrangements for own authority schools 2018-19
- Admission arrangements for own authority schools 2017-18
- Admission arrangements for own authority schools 2016-17
- Admission arrangements for Shropshire Council schools 2018-19
- Admission arrangements for Shropshire Council schools 2017-18
- Admission arrangements for Shropshire Council schools 2016-17
- Infant, primary and junior admissions criteria
- Secondary (Shrewsbury) admissions criteria
- Secondary (North/South) admissions criteria